We all have a sweet tooth and an eye for design. Not to mention, with all of the reality TV shows and celebrity weddings depicted on Instagram and Pinterest, we all know what a wedding cake is supposed to look like. At least that’s what I hope.
In any case, here are a few tips on the process of selecting your wedding cake designer:
1) Stay true to your budget! Cake designers can go to town when designing your wedding cake. Therefore it is important for them to know what your budget is. Ultimately, you don’t want an over or under designed cake.
2) What look are you going for? Prior to vetting cake designers, make sure you have an idea of the style of cake you’d like. This way you give them a clear depiction of your likes and dislikes, so they can custom design something that suits your tastebuds.
3) Guest count! Sure, we’d all like a 15-tiered cake, but is that realistic when you only have a guest list of 50? Not really – and as a side bar, it doesn’t even look good in a room of 50 people (it’s a bit too big). It is important your cake is in tandem with your guest count. Not only does it look better, but it is also more cost effective.
4) Be budget conscious! But don’t settle for a cake that will end up on a ‘Worst Wedding Cake in…’ kind of show. Just because you don’t have a huge budget does not mean you can’t have a nice and presentable-looking cake. Be sure you dictate what your needs are to your designer – especially your must haves.
5) Taste it first! It is very rare for cake designers to not offer tastings, but in the event that your designer doesn’t… run!! You should always know what cake flavor you’d like and should be able to custom design the flavors as you please.
Hope these tips are rather useful. Happy Cake-ing!